[Oberon] Re: Replace with null-string ?! + VNC

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Dec 15 02:54:03 MET 2008

Peter E. wrote:
> Never.  I've always had the client & server on
> separate machines.
>
> If everything is to be on one PC, isn't there
> an Oberon for Linux which would perform better
> than "Linux-VNC server-VNC client-Oberon"?
>
>From what I understood from your description, I'd
be able to run a typical dumb-CLI app. in the server,
from a smart-menu-like NO client.

So instead of instead of switching back&forth between
the man/s, instruction-set, my notes and looking at the
keybrd, I can work heads-up, shooting-off text-strings
from my own designed/coloured/evolving menu.

That's why we use NO ?

So I'd see these kind of mneumonic lines on my menu:--
Mtc = milk the cows [No of cows, Use machine 4 < # < 7]
..
SEARCH = find positn of [textPattern, InBuffer] 0=fail
..
--------
I'm imagining using it initially on gforth.
And since NO can shoot-off strings to the server
 with a single chord, I'd {curly brackets shows keyin}:-

{5  6 } Mtc {CR}
{'the cat sat on the mat' Bufr3 } SEARCH
---------
 to: program 'milk 5 cows using machine 6,  &
find the positn of 'the cat sat on the mat' in Bufr3.

BTW I don't know forth anymore, so I'm guessing.

I expect the productivety increase to be massive !

> > Apparently I must have 2 different 'users' for
> > the client & server ? Whereas I normally just
> > run everything as root !
>
> I start the Linux VNC server from the user account.

I'm guessing that I might need 2 different non-root users.

> peter at dalton:~$ tightvncserver -geometry 620x730 -depth 24

I've got so many vnc versions on the 2 linux installations
that I use, AFAIK your above command doesn't open a 'frame'.
But its activity is confirmable by eg. ps -A | grep vnc

> Then I start the VNC client in NO.
>
> Desktops.OpenDoc  "192.168.1.7:5901" (VNCViewerDocs.NewDoc) ~

Yes but that's because the client PC is somehow already
addressed as 192.168.1.7
For me that just shows:
     '192.168.1.7 5901 Connection Failed'
For me
  Desktops.OpenDoc  "127.0.0.1:5900" (VNCViewerDocs.NewDoc) ~
opens the NO-vncClientFrame, after prompting name & Psswd.
127.0.0.1 is the 'loopback' IP.
It updates, the 'desktop screen image that I'm currently switched
to', with 2 seconds delay. So, eg, if I switch from viewing a browser
to the NO desktop-view, I see the browser in the
NO-VNCclientFrame for a second, whiles it's upgating to the new
image, of its own desktop.

I need to associate/bind the linux server with some IP,
other than that corresponding to default *local*,
then I can address it via the cient with
  Desktops.OpenDoc  <server'sIP> (VNCViewerDocs.NewDoc) ~

> For a system-wide VNC server, I was told to use
> XDMCP but haven't tackled it yet.  If you start the
> VNC server as a root process and then access it with
> Oberon VNC, does the Oberon user have root privilage?
Yes.  To avoid the extra layer of complexity, I've always
worked as root.

> That would be dangerous.  Also a root VNC server
> might have problems with prioritization.

If I worried about the danger of running as root, I
wouldn't have been using ETH-Oberon.
 I don't know about prioritization.

==TIA.

PS. I don't like the official FAQ, especially where they
recommend 'consult your guru' re. the TCP-connection.

Apart from the previous problem of the client showing it's 'own'
text-frame; now I've got an Xserver running as indicated by
pstree.  But I don't know how to find out what IP:port it's
using.  This too is an ideal candidate for my idea:
 instead of researching the problems solution and using it once,
 the info is expert-system-like captured to a smart-menu eg:-
=== Inet debugging utilities Menu ===
ping = arg: X.X.X.X is IP to check conectability & delay
<linuxCnmdI> = I'th utility for network handling
<linuxCnmdN> = N'th utility for network handling
--------------------

AFAIK the server should be started first, and will have an associated
IP:port, which can be confirmed by 'ping'.  And then the NO client
must 'match' with IP & password.

 == Chris Glur.

PS. I compiled the 5 sources from my 2001-Beta version and sizes are:
VNC.Mod 12361
VNCTask.Mod   13510
VNCViewers.Mod    10200
VNCViewerDocs.Mod    5233
All with [a V4 type] dateStamp: 07.02.01 11:50:29
Do you know if you *.Mod are the same ?