[Oberon] Web servers

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Mon Dec 29 22:51:15 MET 2008

Hello,

I have some very primitive questions about 'servers' that are triggered
by HP's recent announcement of a $600 'home server'.

I currently pay $40/month to Verio.
o They handle my domain name GreenwoodFarm.com .
o They host my web pages.
o They handle my email.

Now for the questions:
o Can I have a box at home that does everything that Verio does?
  If so I can eliminate Verio and save $40/month.
  I should also have a gob more disk space so I can greatly
  expand the number of web pages I currently show.

o How do I become my own ISP (is that the correct thing to ask)?
  Is this legal or will the 'net' object.
  I currently am accessing the web via a wireless connection to one
  of several free wireless nodes here in Menlo Park, CA USA.

o I assume that there are several ways to use AOS/BlueBottle to act
   as a server (I don't want to get into the details of how to do that
  right now but only need to know if this is true).

o Any other significant details I need to understand?

-Doug Danforth