[Oberon] Web servers

Aubrey McIntosh aubrey.mcintosh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 00:53:59 MET 2008

I ran a Bluebottle box as a web / email server for about 18 months.
It was, in every sense, my full web server --- although I did not have
many services turned on.  It is also possible to use BSD or Linux as a
server platform.

You need to have 1) connectivity, 2) a FQDN, 3) a static ip, and 4)
admistrative (contractual) permission with your connectivity provider
to operate servers.  In general, it is getting harder in each of these
areas.

I have been happy with http://www.everydns.com to serve my dns needs.
 My connectivity provider is happy to provision a static ip for me,
for a charge.  They allow servers with static ip, and forbid them with
dynamic ip.  I have used vima.austin.tx.us as my basic FQDN, so I had
to correspond with the administrator of austin.tx.us to have this
handled.  Since I had spoken to him face to face for some years before
this need, and it was some years ago, the process was doable.

I don't think that cost or reliability are good reasons to do this.
However, having custom or experimental server side software is a good
justification.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Douglas G. Danforth
<danforth at greenwoodfarm.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some very primitive questions about 'servers' that are triggered
> by HP's recent announcement of a $600 'home server'.
>
> I currently pay $40/month to Verio. o They handle my domain name
> GreenwoodFarm.com . o They host my web pages.
> o They handle my email.
>
> Now for the questions:
> o Can I have a box at home that does everything that Verio does?
>  If so I can eliminate Verio and save $40/month.
>  I should also have a gob more disk space so I can greatly
>  expand the number of web pages I currently show.
>
> o How do I become my own ISP (is that the correct thing to ask)?
>  Is this legal or will the 'net' object.
>  I currently am accessing the web via a wireless connection to one
>  of several free wireless nodes here in Menlo Park, CA USA.
>
> o I assume that there are several ways to use AOS/BlueBottle to act
>  as a server (I don't want to get into the details of how to do that
>  right now but only need to know if this is true).
>
> o Any other significant details I need to understand?
>
> -Doug Danforth

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814