AW: [Oberon] Help! Boot hangs with "OBE"

Stauber Sven Philipp sven.stauber at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 6 17:18:05 MEST 2010

Hi Duke,

> [...] Is there docs for _that_?

I copied it from http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Installation (OBL is also used for booting A2). Originally, I've found it somewhere on the "old" Oberon  (website http://www-old.oberon.ethz.ch/). Click on "Native Oberon" on the navigation bar. Note that most links on that website are broken but can be manually fixed ;-) by replacing www.oberon to www-old.oberon in the URLs.

Oh, I've just found at that the links seem to work on the new Oberon website http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/archives/systemsarchive/native_new .

> What is this NO command? Do you mean to answer "no" to a prompt given by Partitions.UpdateBootLoader?

 I just wanted to indicate that Partitions.UpdateBootLoader is supposed to be a command that is executed under Native Oberon (not A2).

>So... To fix my problem I would: [...]

Since the installation doesn't take long, I would recommend you to do a complete re-install (in case other things went wrong during the first installation attempt).
If the boot loader is the only problem,  you can re-install it using Partitions.UpdateBootLoader dev#part OBL.Bin ~. Use Partitions.Show ~ to see a list of all partitions and find at the correct value for the dev#part argument.

Partitions.Format & Safe-Mode:
There is a safety mechanism to prevent users from accidently formatting Oberon volumes. If such an attempt is detected, the format command will refuse to do its job and tell the user that the target Oberon partition is already formatted.
This safety mechanism is disabled by calling the command Partitions.Unsafe ~ and can be enabled again by calling Partitions.Safe ~

Best,
Sven