Re (5): [Oberon] OFS aliases not being initialized

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 15 23:50:35 MEST 2010

Duke,

My error was to describe an example rather than specify
the general solution.

> Then I fail to see how placing System.Time dead last in InitCommands
> helps in any way debug the rest balance of the file.

It will tell you whether the error is in InitCommands.
If the error is beyond InitCommands, System.Time won't
narrow the scope any more.

This is a search problem.  A well established solution
is partitioned search.
(1) Divide the target interval into two parts which
  cover the interval.  In binary search the two parts
  are as equal as possible.
(2) Establish whether the fault is in the first part
  or second part.
(3) If the fault is in the first part, then resume at
  (1) with target interval = first part.  If the fault
  is in the second part then resume at (1) with
  target interval = second part.

You can apply this algorithm to finding an error in
Oberon.Text.  After four or five partitions of the
the text you should have the error pinned down.

A different approach is to retrieve a copy of the
originally installed Oberon.Text from the Oberon0
diskette.  Give the file any new name; Oberon0.Text
for example.  Then do a file comparison.  If you
have an Oberon system working well enough,
  Diff.Do Oberon.Text Oberon0.Text
.  In Linux, diff.

Regards,        ... Peter E.

--
VoIP 7785886232 is being cancelled.  Please use 13604502132.
Sparcstation 2 netboots netbsd; SCSI disks are being arranged.