AW: [Oberon] Re. How is ETHO with USB?

Stauber Sven Philipp sven.stauber at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 17 10:24:16 MEST 2010

There are currently four major USB host controllers: UHCI & OHCI for low- and full-speed transfers  (1.5/12 Mbps), EHCI for high-speed transfers (480Mbps) and most recently xHCI (low-, full-, high- and super-speed transfers).

> I can't remember if N-O has USB?

Native Oberon supports some specific UHCI host controller only (although the driver would most likely work with all UHCI controllers). If your machine comes with a UHCI host controller and your wireless terminal can live with 12Mbps, this is not a problem, however.
PCITools.Scan should reveal what type of host controller you have.

> But BlueBottle/A2 has; so that means A2 must have the low-level-layer?

A2 supports UCHI, OCHI and EHCI host controllers so it works on almost any machine.

> Since I've got the native-A2 CD, it would be great if native-A2s USB facility could handle it.
> Is it realistic to try?

Do you have some specification/programming guide for the wireless terminal? If yes and the implementation of that specification seems feasible within the time you're willing to spend, it is definitely realistic.
(some source code of an existing driver can also do the job, of course)

Best,
Sven