[Oberon] System.CopyFiles - between partitions

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Aug 16 15:39:48 MEST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Chris Glur wrote:
> >

> >> BTW ETHO works completely by reflex for me now.
> >> I had to do-it and observe what my fingers automatically did
> >>  to write what the 'clux' was.
> >
> > You bet! If you do something long enough, normally you get fairly good
> > at it. That fact doesn't say _anything_ about how intuitive what you
> > have learned over the years really is. Something "super-intuitive" can
> > be learned in a moment - for most people - would you not agree?
> >

> Some former employees used the Oberon environment at my instigation.
> They were resistant at first, but after a few months, I asked if they
> ever tried to inter-click to make things happen when they were working
> in other environments (yes) and if they ever tried to use the other
> environment's methods to do things in Oberon (no).  I'm not sure that
> suggest it is more intuitive, but it was clearly the subconscious's
> method of choice.

As far as I'm concerned, inter-clicking _is not_ intuitively learned. Looking at the
command on the screen, does not give you any hints about using MR/MM,
ML/MM, MR/ML, whatever! You have to be taught that. If you observe a
3-D button on the screen however - and you know about a mouse, and how
it works - a dumb monkey would probably soon figure out to click on
the button. That's what I meant by intuitive.

Now, whether some actions can _soon_ become 2nd-nature to people, I
guess that depends on the person. I have a very large hand, with
fingers like sausages. So inter-clicking tends to be - so far - a bit
of a challenge. However, I'm at the same time very dexterous - I tie
my own fly-fishing flies. So, there's still hope for me, on getting
comfy with NO inter-clicking. ;)
--
Duke