[Oberon] selecting all text in a viewer

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Aug 30 15:31:23 MEST 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Frans-Pieter Vonck wrote:

> Hi Duke,
>
> you might consider the book Into the Realm of Oberon of Eric Nikitin.
> It is not about the Oberon System itself, but an concise introduction in
> oberon programming. It is currently been used at the University of Antwerp
> in a first year programming course (Professor Frans Arickx).

I'll Google it, and have a look. Thanks for the recommendation!

> I've a zip file with the answers of Reiser/Wirth's book. If you're
> interested I can send it to you.

Very kind of you! Much obliged! Please send it at your convenience.

> After teaching Java at a highschool last year, Oberon is such a clear en
> refreshing experience.
> I think the Oberon System as a teaching tool for programming it is totally
> under valued. Not only because it is a transparent and intelligible, but
> also you escape to google and cannot run youtube on it. It is just you're
> brain, a grey canvas and a verbose compiler.

I totally agree! Mike Spivey (OBC compiler) at Oxford obviously agrees
as well. I suspect that Oberon-2 - the langauge - is under-valued as a
production tool as well. Of course, mine is an un-informed opinion
(about Oberon) - at the moment. For me, time will reveal all :)

Thanks again...
--
Duke Normandin
Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada