Re (5): [Oberon] Re: selecting all text in a viewer

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Sep 8 17:08:23 MEST 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

Regarding Linux Oberon, I have to flavors installed:

1. LNO - from P. Matthias
2. ETH Oberon (2.4) for Linux x86 - from G. Feldmann

Are there _material_ differences between the 2 above incarnations?
Neither appear to support the RTL NIC, for one, although Feldmann's
port doesn't even show any NIC configurations in its
Oberon.Text. Haven't yet checked Peter's Oberon.Text

> I guess you tried the NetNe2000 driver with the RT Ethernet card.

Kinda/sorta :) I think that when I did try, there was some other
issues of my own making with the ETHNO Oberon.Text file. So I'm not
yet sure if the NetNe2000 driver will "drive" the RTL NIC. I haven't
fooled with it again.

I did looked at both the NetNe2000 and RTL8139 code, though - to see
if they are at all similarly configured/coded. Not even close! So I'm
afraid that for the time being, I'm going to have to put Sven
S. porting recommendation on hold, until I'm more familiar with the OS
and the language.

Currently, I'm reading the "Oberon Companion" by Andre Fischer and
Hannes Marais, which ships with the OS. I'm using this document to
learn to edit, navigate, and otherwise hack the heck out of, a text
file. BTW, thanks to Chris B. I finally succeeded in selecting text
across multiple pages using [copy] and using the _shift key_ while
selecting the last character required for the selection. BINGO, the
desired text appears in reverse video. So I amended my copy of "The
Oberon Companion" to reflect _my_ understanding of how this capability
works. It's all good practice on the way up the learning curve. ;)

--
Duke