Dijkstra - was: [Oberon] Reiser - Wirth book

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Mon Oct 4 19:52:41 MEST 2010

Apparently Wirth was responsible for the title "Go To Statement Considered
Harmful".

I was very lucky when I was being taught to program. The first 2 days I was
taught by a man who was in his 60s at the time (1981) and had been
programming since the dawn of time with no idea about structured programming
Iin fact he sneered at it). I could not get a grasp of what he was trying to
teach us, and I really struggled with it. On the 3rd day (!) a younger
teacher asked for volunteers to learn something called Jackson Structured
Programming. Having nothing to lose, I volunteered. He was a brilliant
teacher. He ignored COBOL altogether, first teaching us to design programs
using Jackson's method expressed in a pseudo-code which was essentially
Pascal, and only then learn how to express it as a COBOL program using only
those features of the language that implemented the design. This was what
drew me to the Pascal family of languages - I did not understand why, when
something as succinct as Pascal existed, anyone would use COBOL.
Neverthless, I was a COBOL programmer for about 12 years but I believe my
work gained immensely from that lucky break at the beginning and I was able
to avoid having my mind crippled by COBOL - a task which was left to the
lunacy of corporate life.

It was fortunate that I didn't have my mind destroyed by COBOL as my first
programming job involved at least 50% assembler programming, working on
software that was originally developed in the early 1960s. That was an
education!