[Oberon] associative list

jan at verhoeven272.nl jan at verhoeven272.nl
Thu Dec 2 10:30:21 CET 2010

Duke

Is this http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jarray2.htm what you're
looking for?

If so, I guess Niklaus Wirth would turn over in his grave (if he were
dead by now, which he luckily isn't).

It's against all the basic ideas behind Oberon.

IF you would want to have such a feature, consider a dual stage method
with an array to link a name to an index into a second array.

You are right about the math involved with such a programmatic
monstrum: only scripting tools like tcl offer this kind of
inefficiency as a feature.

Perhaps you get a clue from either one of

http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/ack/dis06.html.gz
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/AVR/avrdis.html.gz
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/m4m/Plov21.html.gz

The AVR processor has lots of GP registers with fancy names and each
single bit inside that register has fancy names as well.
So I use two linked lists for linking bit names to register numbers.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Verhoeven