[Oberon] Re (2): User report on LNO

easlab-absa easlab at absamail.co.za
Sun Apr 24 13:56:22 CEST 2011

Because I need to use multiple unsyncronised systems
to email, recently, I'm not sure if I've already sent this.

From:	easlab-absa <easlab at absamail.co.za>
Date:	Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:37:47 +0200
> > I never succeeded with ETHO's Mail.Panel ...
>
> Why?  What was the difficulty?

That was when I started using ETHO: 1997?8, when P. Muller
was very active.  He tried to help me debug it.  I was getting
error-mesg from my ISPs server.  Inet debugging is difficult
because you have to depend on the line & the 'other side',
and pay for the connection/time.
Once I found that I could handle mail with 'commands'
instead of Mail.Panel , I forgot about Mail.Panel .
It won't work now because it uses `Mail.Send *` which
hasn't got SendAuthorisation capability.

> > ... without notification my ISP added mailSendAuthorisation ...
>
> Ideally Oberon users write support for it.

As previously explained: I wrote code for the easiest of the 2
authentication-protocols which my ISP offered and tested/used it
for a few years, until the ISP 'changed again'.

> Otherwise set up any
> old PC as a Linux based MTA which happily cooperates with ETHO.

Yes, that's why I emphasise the value of ETHO which 'cooperates
with linux'; but I HATE having to move this text to `linux's
evolution' to mail it.  Fortunately I can still receive with ETHO.

== Chris Glur.

PS. Because it's not solid-technology, it's difficult to explain:
the POWER of ETHO as a research tool is demonstated by the
following. How, *while still in the email text* I can cutNpaste
[after easily finding it] the original code of my TxAuthenticate
patch. ------------
PROCEDURE TxAuthenticate;
   PROCEDURE SendNexpect(Send: ARRAY OF CHAR; Expect: CHAR);
   BEGIN SendCmd(Mail,Send, ""); Response(Mail, s);
CRGtrace.LablVal(s,94);
(* Out.String(s); Out.Ln(); *)
     IF s[0] # Expect THEN Out.String("TxAuth error: ");
Out.String(Send) END;
   END SendNexpect;
BEGIN Out.String("TxAuthenticate"); Out.Ln();
   SendNexpect("AUTH LOGIN","3");
   SendNexpect("Y3JnbHVyQGFic2FtYWlsLmNvLnph","3");
   SendNexpect("NT***Qz","2")
END TxAuthenticate;
Especially with the ETHO colouring which is lost in the emailing,
I can immediately see that the protocol selected is "AUTH LOGIN",
and I guess there's my UserName and password in Base64.