[Oberon] Re. Oberon DAQ was: User report on LNO

Frans-Pieter Vonck fp at vonck.nl
Mon Apr 25 23:41:48 CEST 2011

Hi Chris,

thanks for your answer.
>From your comment I learn that you are pretty good at parsing texts in
Oberon. I understand that you do not want to loose that skill when using
another operating system.

I'm programming a lpc2138 development board in Oberon07 and I would like
to stick to programming in Oberon also at the desktop site.

I've looked at alternatives.
The rs232 libraries for XDS  I found are directly interfacing to the
windows api, which is a very difficult to understand. Also the .Net
version of Oberon, which should make things easier is not giving me a good
feeling.

Linux Oberon I did not try-out yet. However as I will attend the talk of
Günter Feldmann http://www.oberonday2011.ethz.ch/talks/ it seems a good
idea to check it out before hand.
Then again, I'm more comfortable with programming for the Oberon Loop than
for linux (Multasking multiuser).

Programming the lpc2138 is a fun learning project for me. There is no
direct professional pressure. Because of work and young kids I need
projects that sort of logically unroll in front of my eyes.  Even when I
did not work for a few weeks on a project I immediatly understand what
I've coded thanks to Oberon.

Greets,
Frans-Pieter