[Oberon] ETHO to *nix MTA interface?

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 29 18:16:05 CEST 2011

From:	easlab-absa <easlab at absamail.co.za>
Date:	Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:00:31 +0200
> it details mostly just the 'configuration' for
> someone who already knows the principles.

OK, I'll be reviewing & improving the page.

> AFAIK, on *nix machines any one IP-port can communicate
> with any other active one, if the configuration allows?

What do you mean by IP-port?

The Internet has sockets.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_socket
In the most common terminology,
  socket = ((IP address),(port number)).
Each protocol has a distinct port number as explained in
the Wikipedia.  For example, a destination socket for SMTP
might be ((10.4.0.1),(25)).

A network adapter is configured in software as a network
interface.

> So, for ETHO to communicate with the MTA, the ETHO
> application would need to communicate with the ISO-stack.

Are we discussing one machine or two machines?  Is ETHO
running on a Linux machine which also runs an MTA?  Are
ETHO and the MTA on separate machines?  In the second case,
does "the MTA" belong to you?  Is it on your premises?

> OTOH if I used a network-card, the appropriate ETHO
> facility [and presumably also for LEO] would communicate
> in tcp/ip ONLY at the output of the card.
>
> That's not what I need, for LEO to communicate with
> the *nix MTA.

Why?  Ethernet is fast and supported by *nix and by ETHO.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca