[Oberon] ETHO to *nix MTA interface?

easlab-absa easlab at absamail.co.za
Sat Apr 30 02:50:58 CEST 2011

> > it details mostly just the 'configuration' for
> > someone who already knows the principles.
>
> OK, I'll be reviewing & improving the page.

Well no, it's appropriately written for a higher level of
knowledge than mine.

> > AFAIK, on *nix machines any one IP-port can communicate
> > with any other active one, if the configuration allows?
>
> What do you mean by IP-port?
>
> The Internet has sockets.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_socket
> In the most common terminology,
>   socket = ((IP address),(port number)).
> Each protocol has a distinct port number as explained in
> the Wikipedia.  For example, a destination socket for SMTP
> might be ((10.4.0.1),(25)).

Isn't: 10.4.0.1 = IP and 25 = port; hence IP-port?

> A network adapter is configured in software as a network
> interface.
>
> > So, for ETHO to communicate with the MTA, the ETHO
> > application would need to communicate with the ISO-stack.

ETHO talks to the ISO-stack at the application level,
which passes the signal down to the socket-level,
which talks to the MTA's socket, I'm guessing.

> Are we discussing one machine or two machines?
 One.
> Is ETHO running on a Linux machine which also runs an MTA?
 Yes
> Are ETHO and the MTA on separate machines?
No.
In the second case, does "the MTA" belong to you?
Is it on your premises?

> > OTOH if I used a network-card, the appropriate ETHO
> > facility [and presumably also for LEO] would communicate
> > in tcp/ip ONLY at the output of the card.
> >
> > That's not what I need, for LEO to communicate with
> > the *nix MTA.
>
> Why?  Ethernet is fast and supported by *nix and by ETHO.

 Because there's no physical distance that the signal needs
to travel [outside of a PC].

 I suspect that LEO needs to communicate with:
loopback/127.0.0.1, <smtp default port>/25,
which is completely different from it communicating
with V24/RS232.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.

I really must go from my land-line tomorrow,
for a few days.