[Oberon] Mail.GetUIDLs

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 18 01:38:37 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm working on a problem with POP mail retrieval which surfaced during
the weekend.  This question refers to ETH Oberon / PC Native 05.01.2003.
I haven't looked for the analogue in Aos but a similar concept must be there.

According to my understanding, the purpose of GetUIDLs is to retrieve a
list of message UIDLs from a POP server; one UIDL per message.

	PROCEDURE GetUIDLs(S: NetTools.Session; VAR T: Texts.Text);
		VAR
			F: Files.File;
			R: Files.Rider;
	BEGIN
		SendCmd(S, "UIDL", "");
		IF ReadState(S) THEN
			F := Files.New(""); Files.Set(R, F, 0);
			ReadText(S, R);
			NEW(T); Texts.LoadAscii(T, F)
		ELSE
			T := NIL
		END
	END GetUIDLs;

Files.New("") creates an anonymous file.  What becomes of this file when
GetUIDLs exits?  Why is the file involved rather than the data from Session
put directly into T?

Thanks,                        ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca