[Oberon] Mail args wrongly changed during processing?

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Fri Jan 20 22:35:02 CET 2012

Perhaps I can benefit from collaborator's newly found familiarity
with Mail.Mod [where I don't find a LEO version right now].

Because in Africa, you always need a planB, I've got gmail, which
is inconvenient, since I've not learned how to access it other than
via a monster-browser -- slowly.

My planC is worse, and I access it rarely: via telnet.

Since I've never suceeded with Mail.Panel before, I now
decided to try again [after a decade] for planC via Mail.Panel

Without going down to source-code level, I'm already confused:-

My <Trap Trace> is: ----------
Trap   5.7  (Index out of range)
sp =  BFF12DD4, bp =  BFF12DEC, pc =  082844D8

Mail.Append  @ 1168
	buffer	=  B774C478H	:
	heap	= 	: Mail.Heap
	i	= 0
	idx	= 0
	index	=  B76BBE58H	:
	j	= 0
	len	= 0
	str	= "crglur at gmail.com"
Mail.Insert  @ 1820  <-- stage N-1
..
	str	= "crglur at gmail.com"
Mail.AddMsgHead  @ 8997  <-- stage N-2
..
	str	= "crglur at gmail.com"
Mail.Synchronize  @ 11975  <-- stage N-3
..
user	= "0110246665 at neomail.co.za"   <-- PlanC !!
..
---------
The Mail.Panel settings read
"Local Settings (override Oberon.Text)"

The trace for PROC Mail.Synchronize
has correctly accepted my new settings in Mail.Panel:
for neomail.

Yet, <neomail> changes to <gmail> further on ?!?

And Oberon.Text has no knowledge about "crglur at gmail.com"
>POP = "pop.absamail.co.za"	{* incoming mail server *}

So how/why does "crglur at gmail.com" get to replace
"0110246665 at neomail.co.za" ?

I vaguely remember that I use a separate directory, for my
second <absamail> userID, which uses a second Oberon.Text
But that's not where the ghost comes from.
---------

Surely if PROC Mail.Synchronize has got the correct settings,
these should not change to other settings, further on.

Wouldn't you expect the arg to be accessed from *ONE*
location and to be passed along without being changed?

If I could get a simple solution [without analysing the
punishing Mail.Mod code] I could use my planC.

== TIA, Chris Glur.