[Oberon] Mail args wrongly changed during processing?

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sat Jan 21 14:37:57 CET 2012

Chris

Mail.Panel is very old (approx 10 years or so). So, better use newer Oberon, AOS, A2... distros with things like IMAP and SSL.
To my knowledge, Mail.Panel does neither support SSL security feature nor IMAP. So, if the mail server wants you to use SSL, Mail.Panel is not the right tool for you.

Just for fun I downloaded UnixAos on my Mac and run the old Oberon system in it.
After I set all my parameters right, Mail.Panel worked like a charm.

To retrieve email with Mail.Panel, you need THREE things:
1) The POP server address (in my case "pop.bluewin.ch")
2) your username (in my case "joerg.straube")
3) your password (in my case "ABCDEF")

In Mail.Panel click on "Settings".
Under "POP Server" enter 1). Under "POP User" enter 2). "EMail Address" and "SMTP Server" is only needed to send mails
Close the Settings Panel

Right to word "Server" click on "Get". As Oberon (or better NetSystem) does not know the password for your mail server yet, you will get in System.Log a command like
    NetSystem.SetUser pop:joerg.straube at pop.bluewin.ch ~
Execute that command. You will then be prompted for a password. Enter it and hit return.
Your mails will be downloaded and the headers displayed in the Panel.
Double clicking on the header will open a new window with the mails content.

When reading your mail, it seems you have at least THREE different mail accounts:
  Address                    POP3 server             Username
  crglur at gmail.com           pop.googlemail.com      crglur
  0110246665 at neomail.co.za   mail.neomail.co.za      0110246665
  ???                        pop3.absamail.co.za     ??

Google uses SSL, so Mail.Panel won't work. Don't know if SSL is needed to access neomail or absamail, but you should know.

br
Joerg