[Oberon] Project Oberon 2013 on GitHub?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:32:50 CEST 2014

volkert at nivoba.de wrote:-
> None of the "old" ETHO Versions is running out of the box on my
> current Systems (OSX x86, Linux x86, Linux ARM).

What! Not: ETH Oberon (2.4.3) for Linux x86 ?

Jörg Straube wrote:-
]By definition, Project Oberon works on the imaginary RISCv5.
]NW emulated his RISCv5 on an FPGA HW
]PdW emulated the RISCv5 in C and SDL on arbiträry HW
]
]Short: Project Oberon is ALWAYS emulated as there is no real RISCv5 HW.

Oh! Haven't you 'made' the hardware yet?
2013...2014: delay.
I can't keep up: I was listening to NW's ARM description, then I decided
to listen re. <X86 real vs protected mode>, then I realised that
I'd forgotten to NEVER again open the canOworms of x86 architecture.

What started me in the wrong direction, was assuming that eReaders were
like calculators: being ROM-based. So then how could they be 'rooted' to run
other programs? But, apparently the new hardware economics and software
complexity [need to be able to patch versions] makes them to be like rPi:
the ROM-BIOS just boots the SD and it continues like a 'proper' computer.
Are cell-phones ROM-based? I used to think of SD as having bad-bits and
only good for music & fotos.

I haven't had time yet to look deeply into RISCv5, and just wanted to
move the project towards being a rPi utility. But it seems that rPi:V5 can't
DO anything useful, other than education, which is very useful.

For those who haven't USED the ETHO family, the value may not be obvious:
it is having mutiple windows visible together on one screen, for eg.
1. the email describing what-to-do; 2. previous notes of what-was-done;
3. Notes and script/s to connect the 3G-dongle; 4. command-line to d/l URL...
And then being able to color related sections of different text-frames.

It's really punishment for me trying to do this on rPi, with only 2 USB-ports
for keybrd, mouse and G3modem. the best tool so far is `wily` [the admitted
copy of ETHO]. But they reversed the left/right mouse scrolling direction.

== Chris Glur.