[Oberon] RISC5

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:30:12 CEST 2014

Let me admit, that I have lost understanding of the overall structure
of how the V5 project is developing.

So here's my attempted framework, which can be corrected, so that
we all understand the structure.

[CB once agreed with me that the manual should never be written by
the developer, but rather by an ignorant outsider].

A minimalist, custom CPU was designed, to implement 'Oberon'.
Apart from the ALU, it would also need I/O & memory.

Such hardware can be built in FPGA, ASICs, ...etc. Call it V5.
It seems that the intended hardware became unavailable?
But since substantial new software was designed, eg. the
code-generation specifically for V5, part of the compiler; there
must have been some 'real-live' V5 hardware, to test the code?

Or was the hardware simulated at that stage already?
No; because a new/different emulator would not have been
needed/built.
===
Going back to the P-code interpreters [which substantial
experience of, 'biases' my outlook] It's easy the parse,
code-generate & run eg.
     Out.Int(MinimalOf(Aglobal, BlocalVar)+Aglobal,4)

But how do you manufacture the TextFrame and Out.Int
into it?
====
Recursive descent compiling and making FrameBuffers
hardly fit into the same 'book'.

Apparently the FrameBuffer creation, for the rPi project,
is handled by SDL?
==
Is this project getting out of control and potentially destroyed,
eg. by spurious complexity: floating point technology ....?

Who's going to write a clear/Wirthian explanation of how all
the stages fit together?
Or is that suitable for a wiki?

== Chris Glur.