[Oberon] more attention and a larger community?

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Fri May 9 06:56:53 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Douglas G. Danforth
<danforth at greenwoodfarm.com> wrote:
> Stepping way back, here is what I would like to have.
> I would like to be able to walk into a store and buy a
> PC that was solely Oberon based.

I would take that a slightly different (but similar) direction and
would like to be able to see anyone consistently walk into a store and
readily buy a device that would readily boot a variety of Oberon
flavors, all of which spoke IP. :)

Having said that, I don't mind baby steps, and I don't have any
expectation that others need to toil to meet my needs. But, I do think
there's potential to revisit and leverage existing code from each of
the other Oberon flavors to find convergence. If Native Oberon can
support IP, certainly there's some hope for bringing over that
implementation to V5. The first step would be to find a wired Ethernet
chipset that's either adaptable to the Spartan-3 or easily emulatable
from scratch. I like the emulation route because it makes it easier to
work through code iterations and experiment with multiple hosts
without additional investment. Then, start porting over the stack,
then find something useful (or at least entertaining) to do with the
result.

I also like the idea of constructing a compatible QEMU host to help
leverage hardware already emulated by others.

-Jack