[Oberon] OP2 Oberon-2 compiler vs RISC Oberon compiler

Bill Buzzell captbill279 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 22:45:23 CEST 2014

Very exciting project! Been watching intently.

I ran across an article on a new "optical FPGA" being tested by Altera that
might be of interest in the discussion. Of coarse this is still down the
road a ways, but imagine being able to address ram at light speed. This
seems to me, to favor Prof. Wirth's minimalist approach, in the long run.
Even the current ram interface (ie slower but compact/understandable) will
run amazingly fast.

I imagine the easy way would be to pair two across this optical path and
one is the OS and the other RAM, therefore modular.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1317045

I am tempted to get one of the last few Xilinx Spartan 3's. Do you think
this is wise or should I wait on the next-gen board suitable for Project
Oberon?

Regards,
Bill Buzzell