[Oberon] Linux versus Oberon System

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Nov 8 02:37:27 CET 2014

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 18:10:19 -0500
> From: Bill Buzzell <captbill279 at gmail.com>
>
>> In short, Linux is sweet and easy if one is happy
>> with great tools running in user space.
>> Which seems to be its original goal.
>> As soon as you are trying to service
>> some real time with Linux, it can easily become an
>> endless source of interesting problems to solve.
>
> You make a very good point and I want to add that
> we should not ask "which one: Linux vs Oberon"
> but "how to integrate Linux and Oberon". This is
> where I see the most promise in how to utilize
> both to advantage.

Bill:

  thank you for pointing at the CNC demo. It makes a very interesting and
impressive example. This demo is pointing in the direction of loosely
coupled systems, where communication and the GUI is implemented under a
graphically rich host such as Linux or Android, while hard real time is
performed by a microcontroller such as RISC5 running Oberon System.

It is indeed hard to beat Linux networking and communication ecosystem.
Things like file sharing or remote procedure calls can be very useful.
There is no need to reimplement these tools. One can use Linux/Android
while delegating hard real time to a separate microcontroller.

Thank you,
Wojtek