[Oberon] Oberon Digest, Vol 128, Issue 6

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:24:07 CET 2015

Guenter wrote:-
]you can download an Oberon07 compiler and linker and an RISC5 emulator
]with limited IO capabilities which run in LinuxAos from
]
]    www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/OCP/Downloads -> UnixAOS -> RISC-Oberon
]
]The AOS/A2 system for Linux is downloadable from
]
]    www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/OCP/Downloads -> UnixAOS

ETH.Oberon for Linux x86 was a big advance on NativeOberon:
* allowing data-files to be accessed, easily, anywhere in the *nix universe,
 instead of just N-O partitions.
* access to the global human effort results for *nix-able peripherals,
  eg. USB & solid-state-disks.

Thank you for LEO.

Now, what can UnixAOS do to justify the cost of taste-ing it?

AFAIK BB/Aos intended to advance NativeOberon by being
multi-tasking? And abandoning the proven ETHO interface, for a
Windows-like one. Even after some effort I was unable to use it
for any task.

In contrast ARM-Linux-Oberon has helped me to debug a very difficult problem -
apparently related to gamma corection of CRT signals, going to a LED-display.

AFTER the system has booted and [apparently] done a display-sleep-cycle,
LEO & xpdf ..etc. can't show gray on the LED-display [but CRT is still OK].
ALO, which feeds in via the HDMI input of the LED-display, show ETHO's
informative <Color.Panel>, which allows researching this Red, Green, Blue
attenuation problem.

It's amazing what tools we've inherited for the 90's.

== Chris Glur.