[Oberon] Where are </lib/Gadgets> hidden?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:33:56 CEST 2015

ETHO is staggering!  [ LEO = ETHO for Linux x86 ]
It's much more than the language. Probably the clean/simplicity of the
language allowed the development of the magic features of ETHO.

Task:
Create OwnVersionBook of out-of-print-book
    "The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages"
while learning the contents.

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm
 gives a tree of *htm & 445 *.jpg: 1 per each book page.

Unfortunately my OpticalCharRecognition is too poor for these *.jpg,
OTOH being forced to paraphrase, ensures understanding of what's read.

One klik of ETHO opens eg. /mnt/hd/FunctPrgBook/IMAGES/431.JPG
on the same screen as this mail & the OwnVersionBook & other files....

Importantly: nonAscii formulae & diagrams can be pasted from the
*.jpg/s effortlessly to OwnVersionBook in ETHO format.

The ability to add color & special-fonts adds a whole extra dimension.

Unfortunately the *.jpg/s overflow LEO's screen, so the bottom-half
is hidden. So I investigated Rembrandt; then I discovered that the
jpg-gadget can easily be moved in its frame. More ETHO magic!?
-----
So the [not final, but living] product is an ETHOfile:<book>,
with your own colored-notes and diagrams and nonAscii math-formulae
pasted in.

But!! When I edit the file/book with LNO [currently without gadgets],
the gadgets become no longer visible when later viewed with LEO.

I've previously read that the gadgets reside in library/s.
Examining the book/file shows that the pastedInGadgets are represented
by *ONE* byte [starting at %00, for the first gadget].
Which implies that the library/S-holding-the-gadgets is identified in the
file header.

Where are these libraries?  Why does LNO mess the gadgets inserted by LEO?

== Chris Glur.