[Oberon] New FPGA Oberon board

Walter Gallegos waltergallegos at vera.com.uy
Mon May 18 14:13:58 CEST 2015

Let me try to explain my point of view, build a FPGA board with resources
only to implement a CPU is not a good idea. Is like build a car with great
engine but 10Lts fuel tank, we can't go to far with this car.

Implement the RISC5 into a very low end FPGA as Spartan-3 is excellent to
show the virtues of the project but has not many practical uses because
implement a CPU with logic farms is not cheaper.

The real power of FPGA is their capacity to implement signal processing in
hardware; so, how many of the logic farm and others resources rest free
after implement the RISC5 into a low end FPGA ?

As hardware developer is very interesting have additional resources to
implement filters, FFT, DSP, video processing and so on in hardware to be
attached to RISC5 as peripheral or coprocessor. This is the way to implement
modern SoC, with custom hardware and software cooperation.

Best regards,
Walter