[Oberon] RISC5 / FPGA Architecure and provider

Walter Gallegos waltergallegos at vera.com.uy
Fri Aug 21 14:33:53 CEST 2015

Hi group

I read some post about FPGA family, provider and board. In my opinion, think
this RISC processor with a FPGA architecture and provider in mind is a big
mistake.

With minor changes, even on the original Verilog sources, this RISC could be
independent of FPGA architecture. So, could be implemented on any FPGA with
sufficient resources. As exercise, I translated then Verilog RISC sources to
MAX10 (Altera) in a couple of hours after implement the testbench; then,
changing one module same sources could be implemented in Xilinx or Altera.

Thinking in FPGA world, is more attractive have a "general propose" RISC
core with very basic bus and IO capabilities and leave to the final user add
your custom functionalities. To mention so classic example, is more
efficient en terms of resources and power consummation implement a FIR in
hardware than software.
Hi group

Again in my opinion as FPGA designer, the most timing consuming task could
be a software environment to support JTAG for downloading and debug and
custom hardware.

Regards,
Walter