[Oberon] oberonnet of things

Bill Buzzell captbill279 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:00:26 CEST 2015

<<< I wouldn't go as far as to claim that - even the most powerful iCE40
devices have only got 16KBytes of BRAM.

Doesn't your RISC processor use external SRAM? Is there a minimum BRAM
requirement? I was under the impression we would be using the same flash
ram chip that populates the FPGA with at startup for the RISC OS, and
BRAM only holds user space programs (pulled from the flash ram).

I have the Oberon0 RISC system compiling for the ICE40's using the
IceCube2 IDE. It appears to be able to fit on the 4k and up versions of
the Ice40's very comfortably. Of coarse, this is the RISC0
implementation which is surely much different than your RISC5
implementation.

A dedicated Oberon IoT mini board should realistically be implemented
directly in Verilog anyway. At some point you go "Shouldn't I just write
this in Verilog or Lola, at least?". The IoT board should be approached
this way, right?

<<<Nevertheless, the iCE40 is extremely interesting for one reason alone:
IceStorm.

IceStorm is indeed very interesting. It brings a simple/understandable HDL compiler into the mix. It was Clifford who translated the UCF file, and gave me other pointers to get it to compile correctly. I think it took him all of 5 minutes to get Oberon compiling.

Regards