[Oberon] ProjectOberon on FPGA

Walter Gallegos walter at waltergallegos.com
Fri Aug 28 22:26:39 CEST 2015

I read several post about RISC5, FPGA, BRAM, FLASH, etc.

My point is, software guys need redirect your minds when in FPGA arena due
the new resources available; new issues and challenges too.

We are in the programmable logic world; so, limit our horizon to software
only solutions is a big mistake.

Trying to illustrate with an example, a bootloader is a typical software
solution.  The usual way to do this in FPGA is by JTAG, the TAP
controller -available in any FPGA- is connected to the BRAMs, or to a FLASH
controller, to load new memory contents. This is the way how are working
JTAGLoader in PicoBlaze and indirect programming in XILINX.