[Oberon] Particularly Useful Oberon Implementations

jwr at robrts.net jwr at robrts.net
Thu Jan 28 14:59:02 CET 2016

As stated in my previous message, in December I purchased an
OberonStation, and am currently trying to understand which
implementations of Oberon (in addition to that of Project Oberon 2013)
are also valuable to obtain and study.  I am also interested in those
valuable to USE: implementations which provide certain features or
tools useful for programming, documentation, data conversion or
transfer, networking, drivers for particular devices, etc.

It currently appears to me that the following are particularly useful
(for my purposes).  I am interested in feedback concerning these and
others you think valuable for particular reasons.

I remain fairly puzzled regarding exactly which version numbers,
release dates, and download locations are most appropriate for study
and use of ETH Oberon / LEO / NO / LNO / ALO.

Project Oberon 2013, Niklaus Wirth and Paul Reed
	http://www.projectoberon.com/
	https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/
AStrobe for RISC5, Chris Burrows,
	http://www.astrobe.com/default.htm
RISC5 emulator, Peter De Wachter,
	https://github.com/pdewacht/oberon-risc-emu
OLR   Oberon Linux Revival, Peter Matthias,
	http://oberon.wikidot.com/
Experimental Oberon, Andreas Pirklbauer,
	https://github.com/andreaspirklbauer

NO    Native Oberon, ETH, via http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/downloads/index
	(see note at OCP site to replace ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub in all links
	with ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch)
	also note Version 2.3.6 and 2.3.7 Alpha at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nativeoberon/files/nativeoberon/
LNO   Linux Native Oberon, ETH, from www.oberon.ethz.ch/downloads/index
LEO   Linux ETH Oberon = ETH Oberon (2.4.3) for Linux x86,
	possibly at ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/ETHOberon/Unix/x86.Linux/
ALO   ARM Linux Oberon (for Raspberry Pi), ETH & Peter Matthias,
	see https://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2014/007404.html
	not clear where to download, perhaps replaced by OLR?

OCP, Oberon Community Platform,	http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/OCP/Download
Pow!  [Windows Oberon-2], JKU Linz, http://www.fim.uni-linz.ac.at/pow/
BlackBox Component Builder, Oberon Microsystems,
http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html
Gardens Point Component Pascal, K John Gough, http://gpcp.codeplex.com/

Crazy-Fresh A2, Bernhard Treutwein,
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/a2oberon/files/
Are other versions of AOS/UnixAOS/Bluebottle/A2 particularly useful?

Of note, http://oberon07.com/compilers.xhtml is a useful list of
various Oberon compilers.

-- John Roberts