[Oberon] Train VS all terrain truck

Walter Gallegos walter at waltergallegos.com
Tue Feb 9 15:51:06 CET 2016

I have the feeling that some in this list are comparing a train with an
all terrain truck. You can cross a country by train but you can go to
more with an all terrain truck. Of course, not the same effort and cost.

Never a FPGA microcontroller could be cheaper as an ASIC microcontroller
or SOC. So, if you find a microcontroller or SOC that fulfil your
specifications use it. Comparing with FPGA option, components are
cheaper, professional tools are cheaper, good software engineers are
more easy to find and cheaper also. Sorry, it's a reality, basic volume
economy.

On the other side, if a project specify some features not available on
hard-wired microcontroller, very high speed DSP for example, use a FPGA
could be an option, but to use the FPGA you must know about FPGAs.
Formal hardware description is not software.

Then, we arrive, again, to the question: what do you think is the
Project Oberon niche in the actual state of technology ?

Walter Daniel Gallegos
Programmable Logic & Software
Consultoría, Diseño, Entrenamiento.
Montevideo, Uruguay
EMAIL walter at waltergallegos.com
Tel +598 26 23 44 60 | Cel +598 99 18 58 88