[Oberon] Inexpensive Hardware: Cost vs Objectives

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Feb 16 14:32:55 CET 2016

I'm pleased to accept the compliments but that is not really true in my case
- approximately 95% of my company's income is derived from products aimed at
the general public not developers.

In the early 2000's I was becoming increasingly disillusioned with the poor
quality of software development tools that I was having to fight with rather
than use. I had the good fortune to read a couple of papers that Paul Reed
wrote about that time: "Building Your Own Tools - An Oberon Industrial Case
Study" and a follow-up: "An Oberon Linker for an Imperfect World - More
Notes on Building Your Own Tools". Up until that point I had labelled myself
professionally purely as an Application Developer. He made me realise that I
didn't have to be a rocket scientist or compiler expert to build on and
adapt Wirth's brilliant work. All I had to do was take a deep breath and
dive in.

Consequently, my most recent audio-related product now uses components
written using Oberon software developed using my own tools. It was a
significantly less painful exercise to develop and has required next to no
maintenance effort ever since.

Cheers,
Chris