[Oberon] FPClike for Oberon

Stéphane Aulery saulery at legtux.org
Sat Feb 20 11:47:06 CET 2016

Le 20/02/2016 08:51, Lars a écrit :
> On Tue, February 16, 2016 5:07 am, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
>
>> I understand the frustration of Lars about strings, because it is a
>> basic tool of every day for the user application development (web, DB etc).
>> But his words are rather severe.
>
> Wirth is severe in his "Through the Looking Glass" article regarding
> functional programming, and is severe about C++ riddles like ++i++++ and
> it's syntax, confusing assignment = with equality == ...
>
> No problem with being severe, we are precise people with rigorous demands.
>
> politically correct programmers, go to h*ll.

It attacks a syntax, not a person. You do the opposite.

Do not shake your scarecrow. Only revealed Truth, admits such a degree
of intolerance because it comes from God Himself.

> The spinach humor is added in, to help ease the severity. Spinach is a
> stringy vegetable that you put in quiche, and Wirth has been called a
> quiche eater. There is nothing wrong with being severe as long as you add
> some humor, which may also be severe.

You're not funny, just contemptuous. If you have any complaints about
him, write him a real letter with a pen.

>> Are people trying to give his own life to the Oberon language outside a
>> context of study, or are interested in this job? Did I rock my breath
>> because Oberon could never achieve this goal despite all its qualities?
>
> It already achieved this goal. GoLang is a fork of oberon written by
> people who worked with Wirth. It's not a true fork, like someone went on
> to github and forked it. But it is severely inspired, by Oberon. For
> whatever reason Rob Pike seems to eat spinach, metaphorically.

Fork one of them and do what you want, it may be more productive than
spending your anger on a mailing list.

--
Stéphane Aulery