[Oberon] FPClike for Oberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sat Feb 20 08:51:18 CET 2016

On Tue, February 16, 2016 5:07 am, Stéphane Aulery wrote:

> I understand the frustration of Lars about strings, because it is a
> basic tool of every day for the user application development (web, DB etc).
> But his words are rather severe.

Wirth is severe in his "Through the Looking Glass" article regarding
functional programming, and is severe about C++ riddles like ++i++++ and
it's syntax, confusing assignment = with equality == ...

No problem with being severe, we are precise people with rigorous demands.

politically correct programmers, go to h*ll.

The spinach humor is added in, to help ease the severity. Spinach is a
stringy vegetable that you put in quiche, and Wirth has been called a
quiche eater. There is nothing wrong with being severe as long as you add
some humor, which may also be severe.

> Are people trying to give his own life to the Oberon language outside a
> context of study, or are interested in this job? Did I rock my breath
> because Oberon could never achieve this goal despite all its qualities?

It already achieved this goal. GoLang is a fork of oberon written by
people who worked with Wirth. It's not a true fork, like someone went on
to github and forked it. But it is severely inspired, by Oberon. For
whatever reason Rob Pike seems to eat spinach, metaphorically.