[Oberon] Oberon with strings, Eberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:12:46 CET 2016

-Doug Danforth wrote:

> I almost never process files of data and pass the output along
> to another process (pipe).  Why do you do so much of that?

piping is sequentialy-processing-data, by using know-good processes,
which you've already paid for = economic.

A naive method is to temporarily store each stage in a file.

<shells> use some more complex method, the details of which I don't
need to know, although I blindly use it all the time.

Procedural languages: oberon; [and pastry chefs] use the stack to pass
intermediate results between processing-stages.

> Whenever you espouse the pipe concept in the context of Oberon
> I cringe.

Perhaps because you think of implementation details, instead of the
abstract big-picture.
I've already pointed out that ETHO: [the *SYSTEM* not the language]
allows <manual piping> by writing the output results to a new TextFrame,
where is can/is fed to the next stage.

> Why do you do so much of that?

Because it's fantastically economical.
Yesterday I had lost an important file when I came back from lunch.
Only becuse I've accumulated piping tools, was I able to relocate it:
  find-on-disks:directories a, b, c /
   less-than-days-old 1 /
    containing-strings string1 string2 ....

Microsoft's narrator showed me that lying down and listening to an
explanation can be more economical than trying to read it - for me.
Since today's info is via inet, and unfortunately html: that must
be the input..

When I need to know about a topic, I build a <book> on the topic.
Some few topics need pictures, as well as text.
ETHO is superb for this, since you can just paste your pictures into
the book, which you *evolve* as you use it.

"Standard browsers" are crap: reflecting the US infinite-frontier
view --  which is unsustainable..

To get the text-only [without the extra garbage] lynx/link is good,
and the links-to-the-next-on-line-fetch are extracted, while the
present context's good-stuff [if any] is fetched to the book, in it's
own section..

If the text's 'knowledge' needs to be available soon, it must be
extracted by TextToSpeech; but has arrived in the format eg....
"[53]New Water Splitting Technique Efficiently Produces Hydrogen Fuel
     Radically new technique uses the power of sunlight to efficiently
53. file://localhost/releases/2013/08/130801142331.htm"

So all the "[53]" like must be deleted, which just needs a
1-line filter in the pipe-stream ...etc. bla bla ..

== Chris Glur.