[Oberon] Essential facility missing.

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Sat Mar 12 11:54:11 CET 2016

> if you only had one option,

Well, it's an absurd hypothetical. Even in the days of cpm and dos you had a choice, although not necessarily of recency. Windows 10 has grasped the importance of recency in their 'file open' dialog, which is very much better than all its previous versions.

However, if you were restricted to recency (and which recency? Most recently accessed? Updated? Either?) you'd very quickly lose track of everything as you switched between tasks and domains, and struggled to remember, perhaps weeks, months or years later, when you worked on myfile.xyz.

If you doubt this just go to the home of someone who just leaves their books in a pile rather than shelving them in some reasonable order, or who just piles their clothes rather than putting them away properly. See how long it takes them to find something they haven't used for a while, and how many duplicates they have.

A place for everything, and everything in its place, as my old granny used to say.