[Oberon] Essential facility missing.

Lars noreply at z505.com
Thu Mar 31 03:59:01 CEST 2016

On Tue, March 8, 2016 4:39 am, Douglas G. Danforth wrote:
> In the BlackBox version of Oberon (Component Pascal)
> one has access to the underlying operating systems directory structure.  So
> when one selects Files->Open one sees the directories.  One can then
> specify that they be listed in chronological order (or reverse order).
> The same holds
> true when one descends into a directory and sees the files. Here's what
> that looks like
>
> You obviously are using the a version of Oberon not suited to your needs.
>  -Doug Danforth

But isn't this a bit like saying, the sports car doesn't have heated seats
available so you should just try the Truck or Sport Utility vehicle
instead.  But if the sports car had heated seats as an option, that would
give you the best of both worlds - and it's not super hard to implement
for the car company.

This is where I see fragmentation becomes an issue.  Oberon doesn't have
this, so use the other version... Whereas something like Python, there is
only one python to really use, one main python distro. One main golang
tool. Oberon becomes super fragmented with about 100 different flavors.
Linux also suffers this fragmentation issue with 10,000 different linux
distros.

Not saying I have a cure all solution to the problem nor should anyone
form a monopoly that packs the kitchen sink into one package (emacs).