[Oberon] Re (2): ET.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Apr 4 06:47:11 CEST 2016

From:	Srinivas Nayak <sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com>, Mon, 4 Apr 2016 07:52:14 +0530
> I saw it uses .Store, that means System.Store.

In the ET viewer, .Store is an abbreviation of ET.Store;
not System.Store.  According to my understanding, Pieter M.
made the abbreviations to fit the commands into the
menu bar.

> That may mean System.Store stores plain ascii text to a file,

I've never studied System thoroughly and can't say
what exactly System.Store does.

> Edit.Store stores formatted text to a file.

Yes, Edit.Store stores Oberon (formatted) text.
If you are working in Oberon the terms "Oberon text"
or "text" suffice without "formatted".   In Oberon,
Hex will display the header.  Hex.Open System.Tool

Incidentally, you mentioned that you have Linux available.
Try to open an Oberon text file with gedit and with leafpad.
gedit will show the Oberon header in red and human readable
text beyond.  Leafpad will show almost nothing.

> At least it makes sense that ET was available initially in
> Oberon0 to support plain ascii text.

Misconception.  Edit is the original editor.  ET is an
extension adding desirable features.  Startup or booting
doesn't require ASCII text.  It is used by some language
syntaxes and protocols.  HTML for example.

The description of booting on this page might help a little.
http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/BootManager
Unfortunately it doesn't explain how Oberon.Text is used to set
fundamental configuration.  Other ETH pages might be more helpful
but I can't find them at present.

> I see that Appendix E in Install.Tool in Oberon0.Dsk says,
> if you get a trap, do ET.StoreAscii and send the error report ...

Plain ASCII is allowed in an email message body.  The header
of an Oberon text and the hidden terms specifying fonts, colors
& etc. will require encoding or attaching.  Given that ASCII
suffices to express the trap, it is used.

> ... P. Muller.

You will see his name or initials on many of the modules.
As Peter M. said, P.J. Muller withdrawing from participation
is a loss for us.

Signing off for today,               ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202