[Oberon] Reading LaTeX?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sun May 1 18:21:07 CEST 2016

I launched Linux: V4 which I haven't use for a few years. Quite amazing.
N.S. might like it because it automatically detects if the file-to-be
-loaded is Oberon or ASCII. My version: oberon-1.7.02
had an error, in that it Stored as DOS; but that was trivial to fix,
long ago, when I used it heavily.

It's got:  TeX.Mod , TeX.Sym  TeX.Obj  but I found no documentation,
except the <popup instructions> on TeX.Mod :--
Use TeX.Print (* | ^ | filename) [printCmd]
where printCmd can be a name or string containing command to print a
.dvi file.  If printCmd is not specified, a file tmp.dvi is created.
To use this module tex must be installed correctly and the font cmss8 must be
available. If it's not you can change initString in the CONST section.
------
TeX.Print  CRGlog
produced tmp.log , tmp.dvi , tmp.tex

I can't find a LaTeX renderer, and the syntax of tmp.tex
looks strange and unfamiliar:---------
\baselineskip=10 pt  \font\sf = cmss8 \font\it = cmssi8  \font\bf = cmssbx8 \sf{
.=$>$. /usr/local/oberon-1.7.02/CRGlog ~ \par.
 ~ \par.
 Clipboard.Mod   $|$.   5221 ~ \par.
 Shell.Mod       $|$.  13700 ~ \par.
HOW/where was TeX.Mod tested ? ~ \par.
Use TeX.Print (* $|$. $\uparrow$. $|$. filename) [printCmd] ~ \par.
....------------------> It's got Char(0)s

But Linux: dvipdf tmp.dvi creates a nice viewable tmp.pdf
and TeX.Obj is only 5017bytes!

But I don't want to write LaTeX.
I want to read LaTeX-maths.

Going back to S3: Linux ETHO [from V4]:-
Starting to <decode> some LaTeX-maths which a full-featured browser
displays; I found that so far everything can be translated to either:
1. <normal text font> or
2. EditTools.ChangeFamily ? => Greek ~ =ok  Greek.Tool
3. EditTools.ChangeFamily ? => Math ~ =ok Math.Tool

!! Now I'm going to switch from V4 to S3:LEO to continue editing this
to save as *nix, to paste to the hated http: gmailer.

I'm asking for ideas for minimal code which will
translate a selected plain-text string per the following
[partial] translation table:--
Oh, big problem! I can see the ETHO: Math & Greek chars, but can't
mail them to you.
So just imagine that the 2nd-colum is ETHO's Math or Greek matching char.
\vdash                        M or G char
\Rightarrow                   M or G char
\Pi                           M or G char
\Gamma                        M or G char
\longrightarrow               M or G char
\cong                         M or G char

Thanks for any ideas, to eg. replace <normal text> ETHO "\Pi"
 with the <Greek Pi Char> which is in the translation-table,
 using select text-string & klik !

== Chris Glur.