[Oberon] Volatile variables in Oberon

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Jul 30 04:57:23 CEST 2016

Chris wrote:
> I cannot think of a situation where you would need to specify that a
> variable is volatile when using Oberon-07. Can you think of one?

Yes I can. If a variable is mapped to a register which can be changed "from the other end" then it is volatile.

> This constraint is typically only required on systems that implement unsafe
> optimisations and variables that are mapped to peripheral registers.

I am not sure of optimizations. But register mapping is the gist of programming the FPGA.

I would rephrase the question: how do we handle memory-mapped registers whose value can change at any time?

Regards,
Wojtek