[Oberon] RISC5

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Sep 11 02:02:43 CEST 2016

Not such a trivial question as it turns out. It appears that the correct
terminology is RISC-5 not RISC5 as I stated, but it gets more interesting
than that. The evolution of Wirth's RISC design is described in detail in
the paper titled:

"The Design of a RISC Architecture and its Implementation with an FPGA"

The answer to your question can be found in the summary of the evolution of
the design from RISC-0 to RISC-5 in the introduction. You can download a
copy from the 'TRM and RISC: FPGA-related Work' section of Prof Wirth's
site:

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/

After re-reading this document I realised that I had misunderstood the
meaning of RISC-5 myself. In fact the Astrobe Embedded Project Oberon system
is more like a RISC-4 system as it does not need the mouse, keyboard or VGA
capabilities. However, it also uses on-chip BRAM (instead of external SRAM)
which is an attribute of the RISC-0 design. Except that it is a von Neumann
Architecture which is an attribute of RISC-2!

I might just describe it as 'based on Wirth's RISC Architecture' to minimise
any misconceptions ...

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows