[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): RISC-5; was RISC5

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Sep 13 16:50:23 CEST 2016

From:	Pablo Cayuela <pablo.cayuela at gmail.com>, Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:33:29 -0300
> I can't find the article on google as easy as with "risc-5" but adding
> "risc-5 filetype:pdf" it yields on fifth place this one (also in the page
> you added to references of glossary):

Correct.  My explanation wasn't clear.  Googling "risc-5" doesn't
find Wirth's PDF document directly.  Firefox yields a list of citations,
this being third.

"Oberon (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)
The Oberon System is a modular single user single process multitasking operating system ....
Glossary[edit]. RISC-5, the CPU of Project Oberon based upon Wirth's RISC architecture. Not to be
confused with RISC-V."

In the synopsis, the reader can spot RISC-5 and choose to go there.
>From the Wikipedia article, Wirth's PDF can be found.

Certainly your search for "risc-5 filetype:pdf" finds the PDF.
Most readers wondering what RISC-5 is, won't already know that
the document exists as PDF and won't know about the filetype search
operator.

Once
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/FPGA-relatedWork/
is found _via_ the Wikipedia, this term can be searched.
site:www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/FPGA-relatedWork/
That lists references to all the documents in the directory.
Google caches HTML versions of the PDFs.  That can allow many browsers
to display the documents directly.  Doesn't work easily for Desktops.OpenDoc
in PC Native Oberon.  I don't know how Desktops.OpenDoc is in FPGA Oberon.

This is an instance of the software completeness question.
Can Oberon be used to read Oberon documentation?
Not yet.

Regards,                    ... Lyall E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel +1 360 639 0202