[Oberon] Re (2): revisions in sources.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Sep 16 17:13:22 CEST 2016

From:	Chris Burrows <chris at cfbsoftware.com>, Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:01:27 +0930
> If I am interested in the detail of the code changes I keep
> snapshots of the source folder(s) and use a difference listing
> / merge tool like BeyondCompare (a Windows application by
> Scooter Software) to identify /synchronise the code changes.

A personal archive.  You don't sell Astobe with a list of
revisions for the buyer to make before using.  Correct?

>From chris at cfbsoftware.com  Thu May  7 00:19:29 2015
> That is the intention of the *existing* Oberon Community Platform
> from ETH.  It has a wiki, forum etc.
> http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/

Yes, It's admirable.  I've contributed to it.
Two significant capabilities are not in the OCP and are
available with MediaWiki.  Page specific history with
convenient difference display.  Page specific discussion.

>From joerg.straube at iaeth.ch  Wed Apr 20 18:50:55 2016
> I would appreciate a repository of ProjectOberon, where the
> community can contribute instead of having independent forks.

When two articles in Wikipedia address the same topic
they are merged.  Sooner or later.  Very few competing
articles on one topic survive more than a few years
before merger.  Eventally sanity prevails over ego.

> In my point of view, WikiBook doesn't seem to be the best choice for this task.

Acknowleged.  What is better or best?

Bernhard mentioned difficulty in configuring Sourceforge
to archive Oberon source Texts while allowing convenient
reading by a human.

Oberon sources appear almost as plain texts.  In a few
places recent revisions are colored. The visual appearance
is easily achieved with HTML.  Therefore a question.
Would a MediaWiki publication of sources as ASCII or HTML,
having the same visual appearance as in Oberon, violate the
ETH license?  I can't discern the answer.

Currently these are the two most relevant forms.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Subject:Computing
https://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:About_Wikisource
Hypothetically there might be a MediaOberon which handes
a Text without corruption.

Regards,               ... Lyall E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel +1 360 639 0202