[Oberon] Trapping LinzV4 under Windows XP

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Oct 1 04:18:13 CEST 2016

Chris:

  my fresh installation displays the same version number as yours (snippet attached).
The installation tips seem not very helpful ;-(

On my XP machine the freshly unpacked LinzV4 traps on
Documents.Open Welcome.Text. Other texts seem to open OK. The Welcome was important
because I forgot how to use the mouse. It has been a while since I last used V4.

The trap first opens the Windows alert box (attached).

After dismissing the box the screen shows two traps in the System track
(screen dump attached).

 I managed to print the upper trap using the Edit menu. So the System is basically
working, except for this strange inability to open Welcome.Text.

I managed to open Welcome.Text under BlackBox (after renaming to Welcome.Text.eth).
Even the clocks are ticking in that file under BB. Long live BlackBox. So I can refesh my memory
how to use the mouse.

However, seeing V4 trap is discouraging. It used to be very robust.

Perhaps I will reboot the machine, what often helps for an unknown
reason (but I need to finish my current work first).

Wojtek