[Oberon] Re (2): Does Oberon-experimental run on Win8.1 x64?

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sun Oct 9 18:50:09 CEST 2016

From:	eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
Date:	Sun, 9 Oct 2016 11:44:44 +0200
> ... ppp-transport.

With the MTN driver software you shouldn't be
concerned with PPP.  The software exists to take
care of details.

Go through http://www.loband.org/ .   It's meant for your situation.

> Have you tested a linux based ETHO communicating
> to <local host>?

Used routinely.  Testing is ancient history.

> I miss my access to Guenter Feldmann's LEO which integated ETHO's
> magical interface with the inet and file-system of the underlying
> linux.

UnixAOS and OLR likewise.  For example, the Oberon subsystem
can send mail to the localhost Exim which forwards to the smarthost.

> How would ETHO modified to ride-on-linux access <local host>?

Nothing to modify beyond a setting in Oberon.Text.
As in Native Oberon two decades ago.  Eg.
NetSystem = {
	SMTP = "mycomputer.localdomain"	{* outgoing mail server *}
Replace "mycomputer" with the hostname of your computer.

> ... <local host>'s *contents* is in the linux file-system;

Yes.  What is the concern?

> the <local host> is accessed by the <socket-system> which I know
> nothing about?

To start UnixAOS or OLR, there is no need for concern with file system details.

From:	eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
Date:	Sun, 9 Oct 2016 12:40:29 +0200
> ... fixed residence & computer systems were destroyed,
> so I bought a new laptop & 12-month inet access + USBdevice.

Within the last year or two you reported Oberon on Raspberry Pi
to be working.  Abandoned that?

> ... installing Win 10, ... Win8.1 x64.

A Windows mailing list is more likely to help.  I've never owned
a Windows system and can't offer any specific tips..

Last time I checked, MTN sold Huwai modems and routers.  Can
you find a model number on the USB gizmo?

Regards,                    ... Lyall E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                      Pender Is.: +1 250 629 3757