[Oberon] Oberon-2 on FPGA

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Fri Oct 28 20:24:29 CEST 2016

I'm not sure what you mean by "something not right here". The FPGA
implementation is quite different from the actual Mac hardware.  The
SDRAM is used for both ROM, RAM and floppy emulation so it's very
different from the original Mac.  On the MIST board the SDRAM controller
is clocked at 65 MHz and it takes a fixed 8 clocks to access the memory,
resulting in 8.125 MHz access rate.  In other words, the system can
access the memory at max 8.125 MHz.  This bus bandwidth is then used by
the CPU, the video system and the floppy emulation. The CPU is also
clocked at 8.125 MHz.  The original MC68000 takes 4 clocks for 1
instruction cycle so in normal mode it would access memory at 1/4 of the
available memory bandwidth.  Video takes up one of the CPU idle clock
cycles (i.e. it also uses 1/4 of the memory bandwidth), and the floppy
emulation can take up a cycle as well when needed.

Then there is a turbo mode that allows the CPU to run at about 2.5X
speed.  This can be done since the FPGA version of the CPU can actually
run at 1 clock per instruction instead of 4 clocks per instruction, so
can use up the rest of the memory bandwidth after video and floppy has
taken it's share.

Hope this makes sense.  For more info see
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/tree/master/cores/plus_too

Magnus