[Oberon] The Modula-2 System for Z80 CP/M (Peter Hochstrasser)

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Fri Mar 3 00:38:44 CET 2017

> On 2 Mar 2017, at 22:24, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> I purchased that compiler many years ago and had mixed success with it. Peter had handed over marketing to some organization called (if memory serves) CATS.  The guy who ran it was unresponsive to bug reports and I eventually switched to Turbo Modula-2.  TM2 had its own issues, but was really a great environment to code in.  Around 1988 I wrote a rather complex realtime control system in TM2 for managing dozens of VCRs in an educational setting.
>

>>> http://www.cpm.z80.de/develop.htm
>>>
>>> Does anyone know more about this project? Is there any possibility to
>>> contact with Peter Hochstrasser
>
>> [...]
>
> Some years back I wrote to Borland in an attempt to get the sources for TM2, but they denied ever selling such a product - go figure.

If I remember correctly, Borland bought Topspeed Modula-2, formerly JPI Modula-2, and it eventually became absorbed in Clarion Developer (?) and lost its separate identity. I don't remember it ever being called Turbo M2, but it was a long time ago, and I may have it wrong.

I still have the last distribution that I bought of TS M2, and I imagine it would still work. I don't think it includes the compiler or IDE sources though.

I wrote quite a bit of interesting stuff with it back in the late 80s, working for a large retailer. Writing software for PCs was a bit Wild West there at that time, and we could pretty much pick and choose what we coded in. Bad idea at the corporate level, but fun for programmers.