[Oberon] Modulus on negative number

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun May 14 05:40:44 CEST 2017

Yes - one could if one wanted to if they were designing a programming language but there are at least two possible negative consequences they should weigh up:

a) Enforcing conformity with that requirement could have a negative effect on the performance on some platforms of the much more common cases of DIV and MOD with positive y.

b) The definition could be inconsistent with the definitions used in other common programming languages. The resulting confusion could be the source of additional programming errors.

With reference to Modula-2, Wirth commented on DIV and MOD in a letter dated January 17, 1986 which was published in Issue #5 of Modus News, the Newsletter for the Modula-2 Users Association. You can download a copy from here:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/Modula2/Modus.aspx

With reference to Oberon-07, note that DIV is NOT defined for *any* x and y. DIV (like MOD) is only defined for positive y in Oberon 07. The quotient is constrained similarly to the remainder:

<quote>
The operators DIV and MOD apply to integer operands only. Let q = x DIV y, and r = x MOD y.
Then quotient q and remainder r are defined by the equation

   x = q*y + r           0 <= r < y

</quote>

Consequently, the Astrobe for Cortex-M and Project Oberon RISC5 compilers will result in a 'divisor must be > 0' or 'bad divisor' compilation error message for both statements in the following example:

  i := 10 DIV (-2);
  i := -10 DIV (-2);

Regards,
Chris