[Oberon] V4 versus S3 survey

Joh-Tob Schäg johtobsch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:32:12 CET 2017

I apologize. I never used Oberon before and just following the mailing list
to learn more here and there. Some things really cry for a [citation
needed]. Pf you could back them up with a few reasons i could really lern
something about Oberon.

> Something is successful to the extent that it achieves its stated aims.

​I ​

​agree on that defintion. But it is wrong to apply in that case.

Something was succesfull if it archieved what in retrospect would have been
a good aim.

> What I have seen is the ideas of Oberon increasingly, and often
> explicitly,

​[citation needed]​

> adopted by more mainstream languages, such as Java, Go, C#.
>

> So it has at least been a very influential language / system, and while
> the languages cited may fall some way short of the jewel-like perfection of
> Oberon,

​That has LISP-like snobishness to it. I like that but i would also like to
understand what justifies the use of such words.​

> at least they are significant improvements on most their predecessors,
> thanks to Oberon.
>

> Today, I don’t think there is much chance that Oberon will
>
> ever come back to life again, as all major players (Microsoft,
>
> Google, Apple, Linux/Unix..) now already have their own
>
> “modern” languages (
> ​​
> C#, Go, Swift, Java,..). Despite the
>
> apparent weaknesses

​which weaknesses do have ​

​
​
C#, Go, Swift, Java,.., Oberon has not? ​