[Oberon] Software Tracking Project

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 15:32:58 CET 2018

Jörg,
I would say Windows is, like most systems, build up from "layers". Where
each layer has its API. And so it becomes a big wall / building. Oberon is
radically different in my view. In that it is "organic"; just like nature.
So you can only love it or leave it. The web structure is at the same time
its radical strength and its big weakness

I am very much a spiderweb man, but a while back I did an interesting
exercise: Make a proper API between layers of software. It took some
thinking but I did come up with a system in Ada that only took 4 machine
cycles per call. (gcc with the optimizer on).
For small embedded systems I will still often use a spiderweb structure.
But force of circumstance makes proper, documented layers very attractive.

The other thing I note is that the traces of Edsger Dijkstra are all over
Oberon. NW never forgot what he learned there!
(How to get on a bicycle from A to B, but much faster than in a motorcar ;)

The innercore is the only Oberon part that has a proper layer-API.

j.